Materials Science and Engineering BS/MS Program
Stanford undergraduates who wish to continue their studies for the Master of Science degree may do so through the coterminal program. The requirements for this degree are also described in the Materials Science and Engineering section of the Stanford Bulletin. See the Coterminal Bachelor's and Master's Degrees page for a broad overview of the program.
Coterm Online Application (beginning with Winter '17 applicants): Apply
- Transcripts: Your application will require your Stanford undergraduate transcripts, HOWEVER the MatSci department will run them for you. So don't worry about obtaining your transcripts from Stanford.
- Statement of Purpose: Please refer to Tip #17 in the Tips and Tricks section of the website. You might wish to briefly explore in a short essay what you bring to this core value at Stanford and particularly in the School of Engineering – Materials Science Department. This might be: first in family to attend graduate school (or university), gender, religious, national, and/or racial, among others. For some students a good explanation of what you contribute to Stanford’s diversity, could gain them access to funding.
- Writing Sample, CV/Resume: Not required.
- Letters of Recommendation: we ask for two letters of recommendation - one must be from a MatSci faculty member. These letters are due by the deadline via the online application website.
- GRE Scores: please have your official test scores reported directly from ETS to Stanford (institutional code 4704). Please list Stanford University as a "Score Recipient" in addition to listing it as your Graduate Institution.
The deadline for coterm applications are the Friday of the 4th week of each quarter.
|Quarter to Start Coterm||Application Deadline|
The department Admissions Committee reviews the applications and approves them within one month of the deadlines.