Apply online through the Graduate Admissions Office. The fee for online graduate applications is $125.
The university application is on the Graduate Admissions website. Please read all the information provided before applying (any general graduate admission information given on the Materials Science and Engineering website is subject to revision by the Graduate Admissions Office). GRE and TOEFL tests must be taken early enough for us to receive the test scores by the application deadline. No late test scores, recommendation letters, transcripts or other applicable supporting materials will be accepted.
The application consists of the following required materials, all of which must be received by the appropriate deadline for the application to be considered complete:
- Online application, statement of purpose and unofficial transcript(s).
- A minimum of three (3), maximum of six (6) recommendation letters submitted online directly by the recommenders.*
- Official test scores reported by ETS. Stanford's institution code is 4704; no department code is needed.
- Mail one (1) official transcript from all post-secondary institutions you have attended for at least one year in a degree program to the Student Services Office. You'll be asked to provide a second official transcript if you get admitted to the program.
Student Services Office
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
496 Lomita Mall, Durand Building, Room 111A
Stanford, CA 94305-4034
Phone: (650) 724-6784
Fax: (650) 725-4034
*Letters of Recommendation must be submitted on line, paper recommendations are not permissible.
All other non-essential mailings will not need to be included in the application.
We urge you to apply early , we make every attempt to get your questions answered, due to volume of inquiries that we receive, it may take longer than we would hope .
Please refer to our Program Requirements page before submitting your questions.
Late applications on a space-available-only basis
We can accept late applications only if there is still space in our incoming class. Please contact the department if you are unable to apply by the deadline. For the PhD program, financial aid is highly unlikely if you miss the original application deadline.
Applications for the fall of 2015-16 academic year are available online beginning in mid-September.
The official final deadline to submit a PhD application is:
- Ph.D.: 11:59 PM (PST), December 2, 2014
If you are an admitted graduate student who has not maintained continuous registration (or been on an approved leave of absence), you must apply for reinstatement. After completing this form, submit it to your department for approval and then submit it to Graduate Admissions. If approved for reinstatement, you will be billed for the reinstatement fee.