Summer Quarter

Summer Quarter Policy

Unlike other quarters, summer quarter enrollment is optional except in cases where there is a summer teaching or research assistantship appointment. Summer is a time when many students opt to take a trip home, work off campus or travel. If you choose not to enroll during summer quarter there are no penalties - you will resume your studies as usual in Autumn Quarter with no lapse in student standing. International students should always check with the Becthel International Student Center before leaving the country or opting not to enroll to ensure that visas stay in good standing.

During summer quarter, health insurance is available through Vaden Health Center even if you do not enroll. You will need to let Vaden know that you require coverage prior to the beginning of the summer quarter. If you choose to travel off campus during summer quarter, please be sure to contact Vaden Health Center to pick up an insurance card that will provide coverage should you need medical help. Contact Vaden directly for more information at (650)723-2135 or e-mail them.

Working on Campus during Summer Quarter

Research Assistants (RAs), Teaching Assistants (TAs) and Course Assistants (CAs) are REQUIRED to enroll in at least 3 units (or the TGR course for eligible PhD studets) during summer quarter in order to be eligible to work. If you do not enroll, you will not be paid. It is highly recommended that you enroll in as many units as your assistantship will pay for. For example, if you work 25% time (10 hours per week), 5 units of tuition will be paid, and you should enroll in 5 units. If you work 50% time (20 hours per week), 8-10 units of tuition will be paid, and you should enroll in 8-10 units.

It may be possible for students to work more than 50% time during summer quarter if there is adequate funding and your research supervisor allows it. RA appointments are frequently increased to 75% time (30 hours per week) or even 90% time (36 hours per week) during summer quarter. During summer quarter the tuition benefit is in reverse proportion to the number of hours worked. For example, 50% appointments pay the 8-10 units rate, but 75% appointments pay only 5 units and 90% appointments pay for 3 units. You should enroll in the correct number of units according to how much your tuition grant will be.

If you decide that you do not want to enroll during Summer Quarter, you may ask your research supervisor about the option to work as an hourly (temp) employee. Please note that no tuition benefit will be included for hourly work.

Going TGR in Summer Quarter

An infrequent but not unusual situation arises when a student who is working as a 90% RA during the summer is also planning to go TGR during that summer quarter. You should be aware that it would save your research supervisor some money if you delay going TGR until Autumn Quarter. The tuition grant from a 90% appointment will cover either the TGR course or 3 units of regular coursework. The 3 unit rate is an few hundred dollars less than the TGR rate, so it is best to enroll in 3 units during the summer, and then apply for TGR status in Autumn.