Declaring Major in Materials Science and Engineering
Are you interested in pursuing this major?
Stanford freshmen and sophomores who want to pursue materials science and engineering (MSE) should follow the course plan prescribed in the MSE Section of the SoE Undergraduate Handbook. Taking the appropriate math and sciences courses in the early years will be a great help throughout the undergraduate program.
Interested students may also wish to consult with an undergraduate advisor or any of the MSE faculty about declaring this major. They may also call 650-725-2648 or stop by the Student Services Office in Durand 111A to make inquires.
Ready to declare?
1. Declare major in Axess.*
2. Send email notice to Jungmee Kim, Student Services Specialist, at email@example.com, notifying her of your major declaration and preference for a major advisor, if any.
3. Download the MSE program sheet from http://ughb.stanford.edu/ and fill it out. Print a copy of your unofficial Stanford transcript from Axess and attach to it.
4. Meet with your major advisor to review the program sheet and have your advisor sign approve it.
5. If any transfer and/or AP credits are used to meet the Math and Science requirements, bring the signed program sheet and transcript copy to the SoE Student Affairs Office at Huang 135 to be verified and get approval.
6. Return completed program sheet to Jungmee Kim in Durand 111A and pick up an Engineering T-Shirt.
WE RECOMMEND THAT THE MAJOR PROGRAM SHEET BE COMPLETED WITHIN THE SAME QUARTER OF YOUR MAJOR DECLARATION OR NO LATER THAN THE END OF THE JUNIOR YEAR, IN ORDER TO ASSURE THAT YOU GRADUATE ON TIME.
At Stanford University students do not apply as undergraduates to specific departments, but rather to the university itself. This allows students to explore many options and develop their
interests before committing to a specific major.
Undergraduate students declare their majors in their second year of study (and no later than the beginning of junior year) and then continue in a major subject for the duration of their undergraduate studies.
If you are currently considering attending Stanford, see the Undergraduate Admissions site for more information.