Materials research is a cost-intensive process; to a significant degree, our progress is limited by our funding.
The department welcomes any gift that can be applied to our dual mission of teaching the best and the brightest and pursuing advanced research. Gifts will be used to support graduate fellowships and undergraduate summer research fellowships, fund capital improvements, and purchase and maintain equipment.
Donations to the Department of Materials Science and Engineering may be made through the university’s online giving tool. To do so, click below "I Want to Support..." and select School of Engineering — this calls up a list of options for specific departments. Select Materials Sciences and Engineering and type anything else you wish to add in the "Special Instructions/Other Designations" field.
For more information about giving, see how to make your gift.
At present we are using directed gifts for these purposes:
- Graduate fellowships for students in all areas of study— these allow us to attract the best young minds to our department, whatever their personal circumstances.
- Unrestricted gifts— we use these to support innovations in teaching, student activities and undergraduate Summer Research Fellowships.
- Additional department funding priorities
- Fund capital improvements
- Purchase and maintain equipment
To give directly to the department, use the online giving tool as we described above.
I'm an engineer and...
Philanthropic support is essential to our mission to create dynamic students who are not just engineers, but are also athletes, mentors or musicians. Regardless of where you direct your generosity — from fellowships to research facilities to student programs — we thank you for your investment as we educate the next generation of engineering leaders.