Materials Science and Engineering BS/MS Program
Stanford undergraduates who wish to continue their studies for the Master of Science degree may do so through the coterminal program. The requirements for this degree are also described in the Materials Science and Engineering section of the Stanford Bulletin. See the Coterminal Bachelor’s and Master’s Degrees page for a broad overview of the program. Please also review the University Registrar’s Student Service webpage for information on Coterm Eligibility, Coterm Application Process, Coterm Academic Progress, Coterm Course Transfer, Coterm Degree Conferral and Residency Requirement, and Coterm Tuition Assessment.
- Transcripts: Your application will require your Stanford undergraduate transcripts. HOWEVER, the MatSci department will run them for you - so don't worry about obtaining your transcripts from Stanford.
- Statement of Purpose: You might wish to briefly explore in a short essay what you bring to this core value at Stanford and particularly in the School of Engineering – Materials Science Department. This might be the first in the family to attend graduate school (or university), gender, religious, national, and/or racial, among others. For some students, a good explanation of what you contribute to Stanford’s diversity could gain them access to funding.
- Writing Sample, CV/Resume: Not required.
- Letters of Recommendation: we ask for two letters of recommendation - one must be from a MatSci faculty member. These letters are due by the deadline via the online application website.
- GRE Scores: We do not require our coterm applicants to submit GRE scores.
The deadline for coterm applications is the Friday of the 4th week of each quarter.
|Quarter to Start Coterm||Submission Period Opens||Submission Period Closes|
The department Admissions Committee reviews the applications and approves them within one month of the deadlines.