Ready to declare?
1. Declare major in Axess.*
2. Send email notice to Jacob Wilson, student services specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org, notifying him of your major declaration.
3. Download the MSE program sheet and fill it out with the courses you have taken and all planned courses to complete the major (this can change in the future, but is helpful for planning purposes).
5. Meet with your major advisor to review the program sheet and have your advisor sign to approve it.
6. If any transfer and/or AP credits are used to meet the math and science requirements, bring the signed program sheet and transcript copy to the SoE Student Affairs Office at Huang 135 to be verified and get approval (see here for full details).
7. Return completed program sheet to Jacob Wilson in Durand 113. Once you have complted these steps, you will be able to pick up a engineering T-shirt at Huang 135.
*Stanford requires the declaration of a major by the end of sophomore year. The department will, of course, accept later declarations from students who change majors.
WE RECOMMEND THAT THE MAJOR PROGRAM SHEET BE COMPLETED WITHIN THE SAME QUARTER OF YOUR MAJOR DECLARATION OR NO LATER THAN THE END OF THE JUNIOR YEAR, IN ORDER TO ASSURE THAT YOU GRADUATE ON TIME.
At Stanford University, students do not apply as undergraduates to specific departments, but rather to the university itself. This allows students to explore many options and develop their interests before committing to a specific major.
Undergraduate students declare their majors in their second year of study (and no later than the beginning of junior year) and then continue in a major subject for the duration of their undergraduate studies.
If you are currently considering attending Stanford, see the Undergraduate Admissions site for more information.